I am part of the Ulysses read along. Here is the start up questionnaire.
1. Introduce yourself.
Hi, I’m Adam. I live in the north west of England and love reading with a passion. I will read pretty much anything, apart from romances which just don’t do it for me, but anything else goes.
2. Have you read Ulysses before? Any other Joyce? Any attempts?
I have never read Ulysses or any thing else by Joyce before apart from the odd extracts when I was studying English literature about twenty years ago.
3. Are you feeling nauseous?
No, but it does seem quite daunting.
4. Why are you doing this?
I will be 40 in August and wanted to read Ulysses before then and when I found this I thought that this might give me the impetus to finish the book.
5. Are you planning to use any guides or resources?
No. I am just going to try and enjoy it for what it is.
6. Do you have a reading strategy? Are you sticking to a schedule
I have found a audiobook recording on Librivox which I am listening to whilst reading to fully immerse myself in the story and the world. This is split into 32 sections, so I am going to try and listen and read one these sections a day at a time.
7. What are you most excited about?
Finishing a book that an awful lot of people consider to be ‘unreadable’.
8. What are you most scared of?
Giving up now that I have started.
9. If this is your first time, what is your impression of the novel going into it?
I don’t believe that it is as hard to read as people make it out to be and that it will be well written and enjoyable to read, if a little bit dense and hard going at times.
10. Have you read The Odyssey or seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? before?
No, but I might do in the near future.