1. To be able to have a library, you first need a house (or a large apartment). Where would your dream house be?
My dream house would be fairly straightforward and would not have too many rooms as it would a chore to clean, unless I had a cleaner and then it wouldn’t matter, but, I can’t see the point of having lots and lots of empty rooms. Location would be somewhere that was close to where I needed to be at the time.
2. Now that you have the house, where’s the library?
The library would be in one of the biggest rooms that we did not chose to use as a sitting room.
3. What type of shelving would you use?
I would have custom built shelves that will cover all of the walls of the house except the door and the windows. I would want maximum coverage of shelve space.
4. Three pieces of furniture you would absolutely want to have in your library (apart from shelves and reading chair).
I would have a nice comfortable double seater sofa which you can use to read and lie down if you wished as well as a comfy reading chair..
5. What would you ideally classify your books?
I would seperate the non fiction from the fiction and the fiction would organised alpahabetical by order, but if there is a series of books such as Doctor Who novelisations then they would go in story order, and not publication order. I don’t think that there is a need to order the non fiction.
6. What do you consider absolutely necessary to display on your bookshelves besides the books?
For the purposes of dusting absolutely nothing else, but the wife would probably have different ideas.
7. If you had an unlimited budget, what collector’s book would you add to your library?
If the budget was unlimited then whatever I could get my hands on. Definitely first editions of the James Bond novels but, also, something really old and impressive that needs a special case to display it.
8. What would be THE reading seat you would absolutely dream to have?
9. Who’s allowed to enter?
My wife and any visitors to the house should they wish to.
10. To conclude, describe your dream library in one paragraph.
A comfortable, quite, completative place to read and enjoy yourself.